Thursday, April 3, 2014

Staff Selections: Tamara Houde

Hello readers! This year we will be featuring library staff at the beginning of each month to recognize all the hard work they do here. For the month of April our staff selection falls on Tamara Houde.

Tamara Houde is a children’s reference assistant at Samuels Public Library.

To me, the library has always been a center of activity. It may have been a rainy afternoon or the week a big project was due.  Maybe it was just before the next paycheck when finances were tight or a long stretch of boredom in the middle of summer doldrums.  It might have been the day before a winter storm was due to arrive or it could have been the middle of a crazy week. Whatever was going on, the library was there to present free entertainment, to offer books to beat the blues, to distribute information, and to provide a warm and welcoming place to study, relax, or just get away for a while.  I hope that I can help our patrons of all ages have the same wonderful experiences when they visit Samuels Library.

Favorite sub-genre
I don't have one particular favorite, it all depends on my mood. I usually enjoy mystery-sci-fi (In Death series, etc.), along with amateur detective and cozies.

Books I'm looking forward to reading
For starters,  Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman; Rising Steam by Terry Pratchett; The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel; This Is Where I Leave you by Jonathan Tropper; The Man He Became by James Tobin; Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde

Favorite poem
Actually I have a few that are very near and dear to me. "The Gods of the Copybook Headings" by Rudyard Kipling; "The Spider and the Fly: A Fable" by Mary Howitt; and "Warning" by Jenny Joseph

Favorite short story
Probably "Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry and Thurber's "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and "The Catbird Seat"

Favorite play
 It's a toss-up between "A Christmas Carol", "Annie", and "The Importance of Being Earnest".

Favorite magazine
 National Geographic and Smithsonian

Favorite main characters
Thursday Next, Lt. Eve Dallas, Elizabeth Bennett, Miss Jane Marple, Harry Dresden, Rincewind the Wizard, Commander Sam Vimes, Esme "Granny" Weatherwax - I like characters who are not perfect but not overly flawed, with a quick wit and inner strength.

The question I would ask my favorite author
When things get bumpy and the writing isn't flowing as easily as you might like, how do you avoid grinding to a halt? (and for Richard Preston- "How do you choose your subject matter and does the research keep you awake at night with the heebie-jeebies?")

How much description?
I like for the author to paint me a picture with their words. I enjoy depth, a description of the colors, the smells, the textures, but I do not enjoy details that feel like product placement. Feel free to describe a movie scene or an item, but you don't need to tell me that they placed their Coke on their iPad while they adjusted their Uggs and opened their Doritos.

How do you get your news?
I get my news from my local public radio station (including BBC News) and online as well as the local newspaper

What technology do you utilize to get/read new books?
I use my library and local bookstores to get my books and my library card to check out the downloadable e-books and e-audiobooks.

Do you prefer books to e-books? Why?
I like the feel of a book in my hands, but there are times that I find e-books very convenient like when I'm traveling or reading with the lights out.

What type of plots do you enjoy?
I prefer plots that move along with enough twists and turns to keep me engaged, but not a plot so convoluted that it becomes tiresome.

How do you choose new books to read?
I choose new books in different ways. If I hear a good review on NPR or via Goodreads or word of mouth, I add the book to my list.  I'm just likely to browse our new releases and see what catches my eye or sometimes I'm just in the mood for a book on a specific topic.

What is your favorite aspect of reading books?
My favorite aspect of reading books is being able to use my imagination along with the authors descriptions to explore a new world. 


Like books from NPR like Tamara? Then click the link below to see the latest reviews from NPR! 

 NPR Book Reviews
NPR Book Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment